How Do I Get A Job Working In Child Welfare?

Child WelfareHave you always wanted to get a job working in child welfare? If you would like to work for a public agency that is dedicated to stopping child abuse and protecting innocent children who cannot protect themselves, it is time to learn about the steps that you must take to qualify for a position in with Child Protective Services. Believe it or not, this agency receives more than 50,000 investigative cases every week on possible cases of child abuse. Due to the sheer volume of cases that must be investigated, there is a shortage of professionals who can help during every step of the process. Read on, and learn how you can get qualified so that you can help fill the shortage in child welfare.

Be Sure That This is The Right Fit For You

When you are dealing with something like child abuse or child neglect day in and day out, you must be able to separate work from personal life. It takes a person with the right coping skills and a solid understanding of the field to be a child welfare specialist or social worker. You need to be able to look at a case and assess this case based on socio-economic issues without passing judgement no matter how difficult it can be. If you are able to take a step back to work in this demanding field where you can help others, then you may be a good fit.

Complete Formal Training to Enter the Field

The first step to getting a job in child welfare is earning a high school diploma. Once you graduate from high school, you will need to complete a formal degree program in an appropriate field to get noticed by the Child Protective Services agency. The best path to take is to earn a four-year bachelor’s degree in social work or a similar field. During your training, you may complete field placement assignments where you will work in a local CPS office assisting employees who conduct interviews or investigate cases. During this time, you will be expected to complete classes on sociology, human behavior, social problems, psychology and mental health. Once you earn your degree, you are one step closer to landing an entry-level position.

Getting Experience and Getting Licensed

Most states require applicants to be Licensed Social Workers to apply for CPS openings. After you earn your degree, you may need to complete an extensive internship under the supervision of a licensed social worker. Hours of interning that are required can vary, but most states will require 2000 to 3000 hours before you can sit for the licensure exam. Once you sit for the exam and you pass the exam, you will be a Licensed Social Worker who is qualified to work in Child Welfare.

Related Resources: Social Work Jobs in Schools

The demand for child welfare social workers is on the rise, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the field will grow by 19 percent in the next eight years. If you would like to work with families who are under the supervision of Child Protective Services and you can keep an open mind and heart, this could be the right career for you. Now that you know how to get a job working in child welfare, take the first step.